Tuesday 23 October 2012

Waterstones and The Pleasure of a Bookshop

I know this is not PR - it's advertising - BUT given that I love books very much and still cannot deny the pleasure of browsing a bookshop and secretly smelling the new books (I can be a weirdo, yes), I want to dedicate a little post to Waterstones' new campaign. I mean... it's everywhere and every time I read one of their ads I cannot help but smile and nod. Also, advertising has to focus on key messages as much as PR, so we can learn something valuable about campaign messages and single minded propositions, too.

THE CAMPAIGN

Taken from here

The campaign, by Legas Delaney has one clear message: you cannot renounce to the pleasure of browsing a bookshop and the tactile qualities of physical books.

The tag lines are spread across London and include "Books you can't put down are much easier to find when you can actually pick them up". I find most of them quite witty. Some focus on mocking online book shopping - like this one: "A browser. Much better to be one than to use one." It is obvious that the campaign aims to contrast online shopping, which caused a decrease of sells for bookstores.

MY OPINION

I think it was clear since the introduction but... I love this campaign! The key message adds brand value and makes a clear statement. The idea is simple, nothing new. However, the execution is great. I think the tag lines have a strong impact on readers and believe that this is exactly the right message Waterstones should be sending out. Why? Because according to Mintel, one third of readers still prefer browsing the physical store. Legas Delaney definitely did their research before doing their brainstorming. Well done. 

What do you think about this campaign? Do you still buy physical books from the bookshop?

No comments:

Post a Comment